Dr. Aaron Fenster
- Director (Imaging)
- Director, MIIS (Imaging)
- PI, CIMTEC (Spatial Sampling)
- afenster robarts.ca
Dr. Aaron Fenster is driven by the opportunity to use technological innovations to meet the challenges of cancer diagnosis and therapy needs. The broad goal of his research program is to invent, develop and translate image-guided therapy systems for minimally invasive procedures to treat prostate, breast, gynaecologic and liver cancer. These procedures require accurate guidance of needles to a tumour and ablating it with heat or radiation. Innovations from his lab meet this challenge and involve the use of three dimensional ultrasound (3D US), mechatronic systems, advanced image processing and guidance software.
Minimally invasive therapy procedures using guidance of needles to targets in the human body are challenged by inaccuracy and variability, resulting in therapy-caused complications and sub-optimal outcomes. Working with a team of engineers, physicists and physician collaborators, Fenster has addressed these challenges by pioneering 3D US technology and inventing novel mechatronic guidance systems and software for complete therapy solutions. These solutions have been translated into clinical use and to commercial companies.
Fenster’s research at OICR will produce more accurate and precise therapy techniques, thereby reducing therapy-caused complications and improving outcomes for patients. They will be translated through clinical testing with clinician collaborators to the clinical community and commercial companies for global distribution.
- Program Director, The Imaging Validation Core (IVC), Imaging Program, OICR
- Principal Investigator, Centre for Imaging Technology Commercialization (CIMTEC), Improved Spatial Sampling of Breast Tumours
- Chief Executive Officer and Chief Scientific Officer, Centre for Imaging Technology Commercialization (CIMTEC), Improved Spatial Sampling of Breast Tumours
- Chair, Division of Imaging Sciences, Department of Medical Imaging, Western University
- Scientist, Imaging Research Laboratories, Robarts Research Institute
- Associate Scientist, Lawson Health Research Institute
- Professor Department of Biomedical Engineering, Western University
- Professor, Department of Oncology, Western University
- Professor, Department of Medical Imaging, Western University
- Professor, Department of Medical Biophysics, Western University